Glycerol Phenylbutyrate (GLI-ser-ol fen-il-BUE-ti-rate)
Treats urea cycle disorders to help remove nitrogen from the body.
RavictiThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to glycerol phenylbutyrate. Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 2 months old.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- This medicine may be given through a feeding tube (nasogastric tube or gastrostomy tube).
- Use an oral syringe to measure the dose. Place it on the tip of the feeding tube.
- Inject the medicine into the tube.
- Flush the tube with 30 mL of water to rinse all of the medicine into the stomach.
- Rinse the tube again with another 30 mL of water to clear the tube.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using haloperidol (Haldol®), probenecid (Benemid®), valproic acid (Depakene®), or a steroid (such as dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, Medrol®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, nerve problems, or digestive problems, including problems with your pancreas.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have used a phenylbutyrate medicine before.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, tingling, numbness or pain in the hands, arms, feet, or legs
- Confusion, memory problems
- Lightheadedness, headache, trouble hearing
- Nausea or vomiting, seizures, yellow eyes or skin
- Unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Decreased appetite
- Diarrhea, gas, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088