Treats skin cancer (melanoma) that has spread or cannot be removed by surgery.
MekinistThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to trametinib, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Take this medicine at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine within 12 hours, use it as soon as you can. Wait until your next dosing time if it is less than 12 hours until your next dose, and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Keep the tablets in their original bottle, away from moisture and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Your unborn baby could be harmed if you use this medicine while you are pregnant. Use an effective form of birth control during therapy, and 4 months after your treatment to prevent pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you think you have become pregnant while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding or if you have heart or lung disease, breathing problems, high blood pressure, or eye problems.
- This medicine may cause heart problems, including heart failure. Tell your doctor right away if you have an uneven heartbeat, swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs, or trouble breathing while using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have vision changes, such as blurred vision or vision loss during treatment with this medicine. These could be signs of a serious eye problem. You may need to have your eyes checked by an eye doctor.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have a cough, trouble breathing, or chest tightness while you use this medicine.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have new or worsened skin problems, such as a severe skin rash, acne, peeling, or redness.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.You will also need to have your blood pressure measured before and during treatment with this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, changes in vision
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Redness, swelling, peeling, or tenderness of the hands or feet
- Severe headache, lightheadedness, or dizziness
- Severe rash, redness, or acne
- Shortness of breath, cold sweat, or bluish-colored skin
- Trouble breathing, cough
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, stomach pain
- Sores or white patches on your lips, mouth, or throat
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088