Treats infections. This medicine is an antibiotic.
Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin PediatricThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to clindamycin or lincomycin (Lincocin®).
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food. Take the capsule with a large glass of water.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not refrigerate or freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed. Discard any of the unused oral liquid after 14 days.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using erythromycin (Erythro-Tab®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or a stomach or intestinal problem such as colitis.
- Ask your doctor before you take any medicine to stop severe diarrhea.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash.
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Severe or bloody diarrhea.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellow skin or eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, or mild stomach pain.
- Pain, swelling, or redness in joints.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088