Treats type 2 diabetes.
Diabeta, Glynase Pres-Tab, MicronaseThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to glyburide.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine with breakfast or your first main meal of the day unless your doctor tells you differently.
- Missed dose:Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with bosentan.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how glyburide works. Tell your doctor if you are using aspirin, chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, cyclosporine, disopyramide, fluoxetine, isoniazid, miconazole, niacin, phenytoin, probenecid, warfarin or another blood thinner, an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine, medicine to treat an infection, a sulfa medicine, a phenothiazine medicine, an MAO inhibitor, blood pressure medicines, a diuretic (water pill), a steroid medicine, thyroid medicine, estrogens, or birth control pills.
- If you are also taking colesevelam, take it at least 4 hours after you take glyburide.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart or blood vessel problems, adrenal or pituitary gland problems, or G6PD deficiency. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Higher risk of heart or blood vessel problems
- Low blood sugar
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments. .
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, changes in vision
- Fast or pounding heartbeat, lightheadedness, dizziness
- Headache or confusion
- Sweating, trembling, shakiness, increased hunger
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Heartburn, gas, or feeling full