Prevents and controls nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. Also treats vertigo (dizziness or lightheadedness) caused by ear problems. This medicine is an antihistamine.
Antivert, Antivert/25, Antivert/50, Good Neighbor Motion Sickness Relief, Meclicot, Medi-Meclizine, Motion Relief, Motion Sickness Relief, Motion-Time, Rite Aid Motion Sickness Relief, Travel SicknessThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to meclizine.
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Tablet, Chewable Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Chewable tablet: Chew the tablet for at least 2 minutes.
- Motion sickness: Take this medicine at least 1 hour before travel if you are using it to prevent motion sickness. One dose of this medicine should prevent motion sickness for 24 hours.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine is usually taken only as needed. If you are taking meclizine regularly, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, asthma, enlarged prostate, glaucoma, heart failure, or trouble urinating.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth