Carbon Monoxide Poisonings May Rise During Storms

Study found indoor use of generators, even deep snow can lead to lethal buildup of the odorless gas

TUESDAY, April 8, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Weather-related power outages and snowstorms may increase the risk of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning, a new study finds.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can reach dangerous levels in unventilated areas and cause serious illness or death. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea and dizziness.

Researchers looked at data gathered by the Connecticut Poison Control Center after a 2011 winter storm that caused widespread power outages and a heavy 2013 snowstorm. There were 172 carbon monoxide poisoning cases associated with the 2011 storm and 34 cases with the 2013 storm.

Most of the cases occurred within the first day of the 2013 storm and on the second and third days of the 2011 storm. Indoor use of portable gas-powered generators, propane heaters/lanterns and charcoal grills were the most common causes of carbon monoxide exposure after the power-outage storm, according to the study in the May issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

"Adequate ventilation is a key component of carbon monoxide poisoning prevention," lead investigator Dr. Kelly Johnson-Arbor, of Hartford Hospital's department of emergency medicine, said in a journal news release.

"Following multiple reports of carbon monoxide exposures and fatalities after power-loss storms, there has been an increase in public health education regarding the importance of avoiding indoor use of generators and charcoal grills during a storm's aftermath," she added.

Car exhaust was the most common cause of carbon monoxide exposure after the heavy snowstorm. This occurs when car tailpipes become clogged with snow.

"Lethal concentrations of carbon monoxide can form in the passenger compartment of a snow-obstructed vehicle, even when the vehicle's windows are opened 6 inches," study co-author Dadong Li, from the hospital's department of research administration, said in the news release.

"It is therefore important to counsel the public to examine their vehicles after snowstorms to ensure that the exhaust area is cleared of snow, prior to starting the engine," Li said. "In addition, people should be advised to avoid sitting in running automobiles during and after snowstorms, unless the exhaust area has been completely cleared of snow, regardless of whether the windows are opened."

The researchers also found that carbon monoxide poisoning can occur when large amounts of snow block home heating vents.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about carbon monoxide poisoning ( ).

-- Robert Preidt

SOURCE: American Journal of Preventive Medicine, news release, April 8, 2014

Please note, not all procedures included in this resource library are available at Henry Ford Allegiance Health or performed by Henry Ford Allegiance Health physicians.

All EBSCO Publishing proprietary, consumer health and medical information found on this site is accredited by URAC. URAC's Health Web Site Accreditation Program requires compliance with 53 rigorous standards of quality and accountability, verified by independent audits. To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at

This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.

Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Support
Copyright © 2008 EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.

The best chance of surviving a heart attack is to act quickly. Do not wait for symptoms to go away. Call 9-1-1 immediately, and chew an aspirin while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.